Follow us


Gain from far-reaching global audience of NUJE Europe, contact us to place your adverts today!

Sunday, 1 February 2015

The Final Onslaught? When Insurgents Killed, Armoury Recaptured And Normalcy Returned To Maiduguri

The Nigerian Military had earlier announced to Nigerians in January that 'a final onslaught' to crush out Boko-Haram terrorists should be expected before mid-February and warned that all innocent citizens must leave the affected areas where terrorists parade.

In a matter of days, noticeably over a fortnight major operations have been launched in a bid to
coast away the doubts over the latest readiness of multinational military forces to crush the menace of terrorists ravaging the Nigeria-Chad- Cameroun border towns, the Military in Borno state, north east Nigeria have repelled an attack earlier launched on Maiduguri metropolis by suspected Boko Haram terrorists, in another onslaught on Sunday. (01/02/2015)
The military waged war against the insurgents along Gambole and Damboa roads killing scores, while lots of the insurgents fled to their alleged hideouts, the Sambisa forest.
Residents of the two communities told a Nigerian TV Channels Television, that the terrorists were killed in their numbers at Dalwa village with the recovery of several vehicles and rifles.
Dalwa is a farming and herding community on the Maiduguri-Biu road, located some 21 kilometres south of Maiduguri metropolis.
Many residents of Molai and Sulemanti communities and others close to the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation’s (NNPC) depot, also fled to adjourning areas for safety, as the insurgents’ repulsion continued for over five hours.
 Vickers MK.3Eagle Tank recaptured from From Boko Haram Insurgents In Maiduguri On Sunday

Residents said the militants sneaked into the suburb of Molai and Gombole road at about 4.30am, before troops engaged them in a gun battle that resulted into repulsions of several armed terrorists into the forest by 9.35am.

AFP described that heavily-armed gunmen attacked the southern edge of Maiduguri at about 3:00 am (0200 GMT), setting off explosives as they tried to enter the city, several residents said.
Repelled in the south by troops backed by vigilantes, they regrouped and tried to take the city from the east, where they again met stiff resistance.
As the gunbattles raged, "the whole city (was) in fear", said resident Adam Krenuwa.

Defence ministry spokesman Chris Olukolade said the assault on the town, where the extremist group was founded more than a decade ago, was "contained" and that "the terrorists incurred massive casualties".
"The situation is calm as mopping up operation in the affected area is ongoing," he wrote in a text message, a claim consistent with witness reports.

Nigerian military gave out the information on the surgical blow it dealt with the Boko-Haram terrorrists but number of casualties has not been mentioned as at time of the press.
"Attack on Maiduguri successfully repelled. Many Terrorists were killed as we inflicted heavy casualties on them as armored vehicles, artillery guns and many vehicles captured from terrorists in disarray as Military pursued them in Borno and Adamawa."  Nigeria Defence Headquarters announced on Sunday via their verified twitter handle @DefenceinfoNG
It was also learnt that the “fierce repulsion” was coordinated with the arrival of Nigerian Air Force (NFA) fighter jets from Yola by 7.35am.

Nigeria had retaken Gamboru and four other towns held by Boko Haram following a joint weekend offensive by its military, civilian vigilantes and forces from Chad and Cameroon.

"Our troops are in control after operations which had the active support of volunteers (vigilantes) and our friendly neighbours," national security spokesman Mike Omeri told AFP.

In the meantime, normalcy has been restored in the troubled towns  as residents are currently going about their normal business.

Related story:  Curfew Imposed on Maiduguri

Send in Your Report or Opinion to NUJ Europe

Name

Email *

Message *

mixed ads